Interacting with parents of our small (but important) patients, we at Bloor West Smiles Dentistry realized the need to educate parents on some of the not very obvious subjects.
From an early age, your child should be taught the importance of maintaining good oral health. Below are some dental tips for parents that will help you.
Bloor West Smiles Dentistry wants to share some tips for young parents who want to teach their kids good dental habits.
It's important to start taking care of your kids dental hygiene early. Some of the most important thing to remember are:
- Be the example for your child. It's what grown-ups do, and your child will want to imitate you.
- When the first tooth erupts, clean it with a soft cloth. When back teeth come in, use a soft toothbrush.
- Make cleaning your child's teeth a daily routine.
- Floss the baby molars. At about age eight or nine, your child should have the dexterity to floss. Show him or her how to do it.
- Find fluoridated toothpaste in a flavor that your child likes, and use only a pea-sized amount. Remind him or her not to swallow the toothpaste.
- Commend your child for flossing and brushing. Tell your child how beautiful and clean his or her teeth look afterward.
Choose the right dentist. A dentist who does not love treating children or who pushes the child to have dental treatment can cause anxiety. Your child's long-term oral health is too important to permit bad experiences at the dentist's office.
Visit your Toronto Bloor West Dentist online for more information.
Bloor West Smiles Dentistry serve patients in the Toronto, Bloor West, High Park, Etobicoke and South Kingsway communities.
Bloor West Dentist